[C4 Rides] 2nd Annual C4 Mt Mitchell Ride - May 15

Matt Hartman matt at fourmattech.com
Mon May 9 21:09:26 EDT 2011

Hi Guys,

Our Mt. Mitchell ride is this coming Sunday, May 15th.  A lot of you
have committed or expressed some interest.  The tentative plan is to
meet at The Right Gear early in the morning around 6-6:30ish.

*If you are going to go, respond to this email and I will tally up the
participants on the forum.*  I have a partial list started.  It would be
nice to carpool and split the fuel cost since prices are so high.  If
you have teh ability to haul a number of bikes and or people let us know.

Shawn: do we have a cooler or something we can bring SAG drinks in?
Maybe we can pitch in and get a Gatorade concentrate for bottle refills.

Things to think about.  The weather on Mitchell can change fast.  Be
sure to bring a wind break for the descent so you don't get too cold,
and possible rain gear.  The forecast isn't really reliable this far
out, but it's calling for possible chance of rain.  Also, be sure to
bring enough gels or fuel for the trip.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

The following is the previous email that was sent with ride details:

On Sunday May 15th, A group of C4 riders will be riding Mt Mitchell.
This will be the second year we have gone, and this year we hope that
more of you will try to attend. This is a challenging ride from Marion
to the top of Mt Mitchell, and back. The distance will be approx 56
miles. 28 up, 28 down. The ride back down is absolutely the most fun you
will have on a bike and the longest descent possible on this side of the
country. This ride is the day before the famed Assault on Mt
Mitchel..The kicker is, they don't get to ride back down!

I would encourage anyone to try this ride. We have had two volunteers to
SAG for us this year so no need to worry about running out of fluids, or
having problems making it all the way to the top. So far we have 6-8
planning on going.

As the day gets closer we will update on a starting/ending location for
the ride and more details about times and travel. We have a discussion
started on the forums already so chime in and let us know if you are
interested!

Summary of the ride:
Starting from Marion, NC, the ride winds up Route 80 past Lake Tahoma,
where the grade kicks up in a hurry. Route 80 switchbacks almost
constantly, and the last 4 miles up to the Blue Ridge Parkway average an
unrelenting 8 to 10 percent. Atop the Parkway, the ride sandwiches two
climbing stretches with a 2-mile descent as it passes numerous scenic
overlooks, tunnels, as well as droves of summer wildflowers and butterflies.

The final approach to the Mount Mitchell summit (the highest point east
of the Mississippi) is a stiff, steady, and brutally straightforward
climb. Savor the accomplishment and the 360-degree views at the top. The
ride back down is steep and fast, but having previewed the descent on
the way up, there shouldn't be too many surprises.

--
Matt Hartman
FourMat Technologies, Inc.
matt at fourmattech.com