[C4 Rides] C4Mitchell Plans - Sunday May 19

Matt Hartman matt at fourmattech.com
Tue May 14 23:16:33 EDT 2013

Hi Folks,

Thanks to all who came out to the meeting tonight.  Here's what we
decided to do for the 4th Annual C4 Mitchell Ride schedule.

PLEASE RSVP TO ME SO I KNOW IF YOU ARE COMING OR NOT.  IF YOU HAVE
PROBLEMS MY CELL IS 704-793-6739.  If you don't think you can make the
climb, you're probably wrong.  If you don't try, you'll never know.

Weather forecast looks awesome.  High of 85 in Marion, and 65 at the summit.

*Kannapolis Departure:*
We will meet at Touchdown Pizza and _LEAVE_ at 7AM.  Please arrive a
little early, 6:45 so that we can arrange carpooling.
*If you roll in at 7:00:30, you might just see tail lights....*
It's a 2 hour drive up, and we hope to arrive at 9, with butts on seats
at 9:30.

*Marion Arrival:**
*We will meet in Marion, NC at the intersection of Hwy 70 and Hwy 80.
See this link for map info: http://goo.gl/maps/TS9Wj The closest address
will be:
  25 Lake Tahoma Rd, Marion, NC 28752

The parking location is always a bit up in the air depending on whether
the property is actually in use on Sunday or not.  The last 2 years we
have been able to park in the open lot near the green arrow on the map.
If that becomes a no go, there is an abandoned hotel on the other side
of the intersection that would be a good alternative.  We will try to
scope it out ahead of time and have a plan for arrival.

*Ride Support:*
We will have a SAG vehicle and Jim Roof and Robin Vieke will be taking
care of everyone. This is what we will bring:

      * 2 jugs of water/ice to fill bottles, and a can of powdered
        Gatorade to top off.
      * Bike rack for 4 bikes.
      * Pump + tools for repairs.
      * Jesus from The Right Gear will be riding with us, in case of
        anything catastrophic happens mechanically. (Right Jesus?!)
      * Room for a bag in the van

*What you need to bring:*

  * *We do not ask for any money for this ride, but we ask that everyone
    bring a little something to share with the others.* A box of fig
    newtons, bananas, chips, pretzels, nuts, or anything you want on the
    ride.
  * It would be a good idea to have your bottles topped off when you get
    there so we can be ready to ride.
  * _Don't forget the sunscreen_
  * Go ahead and bring the keys to your vehicle in case you return
    before the SAG wagon and need to get into your car.
  * Enduralytes are always a good idea in case of a cramp.
  * A cell phone.  There may not be a signal at times, but you'll
    appreciate it if you have trouble.
  * A few $$ in case you want something at the shop at the top.

*The Ride Up:*

  * We will ride from the start up Hwy 80 to the Blue Ridge Parkway and
    have a rest stop.
  *  From there we ride the Parkway, and if you don't beat the SAG
    wagon, there is a stop option just before you enter the Mt Mitchell
    park, otherwise, you ride to the top.
  *  From there we hang out until the SAG wagon comes up.  Have a group
    photo once everyone is finished, and head back down.
  * There is a snack bar at the top. Last year it was not open. In
    previous years it was.

*The Ride Down:*

  * We'll head back down and there will be no scheduled stops until you
    hit the bottom.
  * PLEASE be very careful on the descent.  We are able to go faster
    than cars on the switchbacks etc, but it's easy to get in over your
    head.
  * We'll meet back at the vehicles, and wait for the SAG wagon to show
    up and transfer bags etc.

*After the Ride:*

  * For the past few years we've had a good sit down meal at Fatz Cafe
    just down the road.
  * IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TIME TO EAT AFTERWARDS OR DO NOT WISH TO DINE
    WITH THE GROUP PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR OWN TRANSPORTATION SO OTHERS MAY
    JOIN US

*Return*

  * Tentative return arrival has traditionally been between 6 and 7.

--
Matt Hartman
Central Carolina Cycling Club