[C4 Rides] New Year's Day Ride!

Earnhardt, Sean SeanEarnhardt at EuropaSports.com
Tue Dec 30 22:42:32 EST 2014

O.K. everyone, as promised, I have a route that is about 50 miles that takes us through Mt. Ulla as well as Cleveland. It's much like last years ride except a little more North instead of West. I'm thinking we should average between 16 and 17 mph based on the temperature and wind. As long as we hold it together on the climbs like we did last year, this should be a really fun ...ride.

My daughter and I pre-DROVE it tonight and I did make some changes to my first route. I originally had us going THROUGH Cleveland, which was really pretty, but we would have had to cross three sets of train tracks and also drive through the middle of a logging operation where I could hardly see the road. Due to that, I re-routed us. Technically we'll still touch Cleveland, but only the outskirts.

There is a nice gas station at mile 25 (Exactly half way) so, assuming they are open, we should be able to grab food water, use the bathroom, etc.

DETAILS: We should be ready to START the ride at 1:00 on Thursday at the corner of the parking garage at the NCRC research center (So, you know, start showing up BEFORE 12:55!). As long as we start on time, keep it together, and keep it rolling; we should be done in about 3.5 hours (depending on the rest stop time). Even at a snails pace we would be home before 5:00 so just the normal blinky's should be fine.

If you plan on riding, please let me know (if you can) just so I'll know to look for you. If you forget or decide to show up at the last minute, come on out!

A link to the route is below so you can plug it into your Garmin or at least you can know what to expect. Personally, I think it looks a lot worse on paper than it really is and I've ridden all of these roads in the past; the bark is worse than the bite.

As long as you think you can do 50 miles at the speeds suggested, come on out. I know for a fact that there are a lot of "B Riders" already committed so do not think this will be a hammerfest.

See you Thursday!
Sean E

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6711625