[C4 Rides] [C4members] Presenting to Kannapolis City Council on Monday about Protected Bike Lanes on Loop Road

Ray Atkinson gismap1 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 20:40:32 EDT 2014

All,

Several people have informed me that they plan to attend so thank you for
supporting the Loop Road project. While it will cause the least amount of
disruption if everyone arrives by 6pm on Monday, June 9, I will most likely
be speaking at the end of the meeting. Some meetings last 30 minutes while
others last over an hour so if you arrive after 6pm, you will risk missing
my presentation. However, I understand we all have busy schedules so I
would prefer you trying to make it rather than not attending.

Even though I will be leaving North Carolina in three weeks to start a paid
transportation planning internship in Washington, DC then moving to
Portland, OR in September for graduate school, I hope my presentation
encourages others to present to city council. You don't need to make a
complex presentation like I am doing. I would love for you to take a minute
or two to share with city council how the project impacts you personally.
This could make the difference between the project being approved or denied.

As my blog post shows
<https://rayatkinsonplans.wordpress.com/2014/06/01/feasibility-of-approving-bicycle-infrastructure-in-united-states/>,
approving bicycle infrastructure in the automobile-centric South is very
challenging. Kannapolis city staff and city council have informed me that
there is strong opposition from motorists to the project. The main reason
motorists are opposed to the project is they don't want to lose two travel
lanes.

See many of you on Monday at 6pm,

Ray Atkinson | Alumnus, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Design Committee, Downtown Kannapolis Inc
Advisory Council, Transportation Choices Alliance
Trailhead, Carolina Thread Trail
Phone: (704) 787-5859 | Email: gismap1 at gmail.com
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/rayplans>
 <ratkin14 at uncc.edu>