[C4 Rides] Ride For Refugees - Report (and Tuesday Night Update!)

Earnhardt, Sean SeanEarnhardt at EuropaSports.com
Tue Apr 12 09:39:16 EDT 2016

I love reading these!

Hey folks, it’s still a little too early to call one way or the other, but the weather forecast is showing clearing skies this afternoon.  As long as it isn’t raining, we should be able to ride out at 6:00.  We should be on the 100% FULL route at this point since it’s not dark until just before 8:00.  (It’ll be pretty dark at the end of Rogers Lake and during the cool down on Main Street, but main street is well lit.)

Anyway, IF we ride, there is a club meeting at Sunshines Asian Cuisine immediately following the ride.  Bring $16 and pick up 2 pairs of OFFICIAL C4 SOCKS!

On the chance that it rains, or you don’t get a chance to ride, you can show up for the meeting (we’ll have the meeting either way) around 7:30 and have a beer with Matt.  I’m sure he’ll be happy to tell you about the new bionic arm that, I’m sure, will make him even faster once he recovers.  (Personally, it hit my ego when he outran me on the MTB a few years back.  I’m really not looking forward to getting beat by a recumbent bike…)

See you guys there!
Sean E

From: Rides [mailto:rides-bounces at centralcarolinacycling.com] On Behalf Of Chris Ashworth via Rides
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2016 10:26 PM
To: rides at centralcarolinacycling.com
Subject: [C4 Rides] Ride For Refugees - Report:)

Well on Saturday I did the inaugural "Ride For The Refugees" and overall for the first year of the event it well organized.  There were 60 riders and I would recommend doing this ride next year.  Its a fast rolling terrain ride no ridiculous climbing or descending.  And very little traffic through out most of the ride unless you SCREW UP.

The long ride was 50 miles and it was my turn to screw up on directions.  I was happy to have my lungs mostly clear from the flu and since it was only 50 miles I road with the front group until around 37mi.  Then I faded just enough to not see the lead group turn in Waxhaw.  Oops!  There was so much traffic & the bright orange arrow was in the middle of road under the cars so by the time I realized I missed a turn I had already crossed the state line back into South Carolina several miles off course.  So then after checking the route map online I found that the route turn sheet was not posted.  Oops, again!  I then made another stupid decision and figured I could get back on course with GPS from phone which kept putting me back on Providence Road. OK whatever you do NEVER ride on Providence Road!  I was certain death was right behind me as traffic was ridiculous.  I'm sure our bright orange club jersey & bibs were making me visible, BUT IDIOT I'm sure was coming to the minds of those in the cars.  My adrenaline went through the roof and I road like a rocket to get to the next turn that would get me off of Providence Road.  I survived and felt like the Coyote the one time in history he was lucky enough not to fall or be scared off the cliff.(Road Runner Reference)  Now I was so jacked and pumped my legs did NOT want to recover which became even more intense as the head wind picked up to the point I felt like I was going backwards with each pedal stroke.  And to top it off every turn was into a stronger head wind that as we all know can be more mentally draining then the ride itself:(.  Well I did get back on course at 1/2mile from the finish, BUT with the off course route I took to get there I ended with 65mi instead of 50.

So as I've always said if you do charity rides long enough eventually you will miss a turn for whatever reason and typically not the fault of the organizers.  Saturday was my turn!  This was the 3rd time its happened to me in the last 5 years and by comparison this was much better than the last time which is a whole different story during "The Blue Ridge Breakaway".

The post ride pizza of course makes it all worth it.  :D

Looking forward to the next riding adventure.  "Issaqueena's Last Ride" on Saturday April 23.

Christopher Ashworth
(704) 608 1280