[C4 Rides] Blood, Sweat, & Gears

Chris Ashworth cncguru at aol.com
Tue Jul 5 09:12:42 EDT 2016

Good Morning Everyone!  Oops!  I thought I hit send on this email last Monday.  :P

BSG(Blood Sweat & Gears) lives up to the name.  I questioned riding in the events since I have not been able to train properly the last few weeks, but stupidity/ego wins every time.  This is a ride with huge participation numbers 700 for the 100mi (88 This Year) & 400for the 50mi.  Of course I always go long due to the Go Big or Go Home! mentality.

This was the first year for me on this ride because previous years I was always to late to register before it sold out.  Therefore I didn't know a few things I want to pass along.  First would be to pick your packet up the night before or pay extra for the Hat Trick so you get to park right next to the school.  Parking was approx. a mile away, but riding to get packet was a good warm up at 5:45am. :)  Many of the big rides like 6 Gap & 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge there are options for something to eat.  BSG does not have that and Valle Crucis is very small so not much available.  Plan to eat before in Boone or bring food so you don't start the ride on empty stomach like I did. :(

Otherwise this is a very well run ride and organization.  Excellent SAG support throughout and nearly every intersection that might be considered dangerous had law enforcement directing & holding traffic so you carry speed though out.  The start, like all big rides, is very congested and best to walk bike as most did until you get to the point that riders ahead are rolling.

The weather was awesome for the event.  The climb up snake mountain was brutal but not as severe as Sassaphras or Wiggington Overlook.  There are two locations where it pitches up to where there was lots of bikes being walked, but they are not long.

Due to lack of training time I really felt like I was done at 54mi.  My speed had slowed to 14mph and felt like my legs weighed a ton so I felt like it was going to be a long ride to finish.  But then the route has a stretch about 10mi from 55-65mi that is a slight descent that you literally could coast most of it.  I recovered during this segment and finished strong.  And completely spent when I crossed finish line:)  That 1 mile ride after eating back to parking lot felt like 10miles:).

The after ride meal/celebration was awesome.

This week is Double Triple Bypass and I'm driving to Denver now to ride for a couple days before the real suffering begins.

Christopher Ashworth
Motion Control Integration Services
9611 Brookdale Drive St100 PMB320
Charlotte, NC  28215