[C4 Rides] A/B Group Ride Dynamics

Earnhardt, Sean SeanEarnhardt at EuropaSports.com
Tue Aug 1 11:06:08 EDT 2017

Hey guys,
	I wanted to send out an email on a topic that has been brought up by a few folks lately regarding trends in the lead group during our weekly rides and that I've received numerous comments on (from both sides) being one of the main ride coordinators / leaders / officers.  There may not be a clear "answer" but I wanted to at least pass on the comments and perspectives so that everyone is aware of the thoughts and feelings of others in the group.  If nothing else, I truly believe in communication!

	So, here is what HAS happened on more than a few rides:  Say we have a large group of riders that can all average over at least 17mph.  Most of these riders can hang with the front group on all but the longer climbs.  As the front riders get to what WOULD be a regroup point if the group were staying together, they either don't stop, or stop only long enough for some folks to catch back on.  They are moving on even when others are still approaching.  When the chasers reach the regroup point, either the lead group has taken off so fast that they can't catch back on OR there is now traffic coming where they can't catch back on.

	A few "definitions"...  The club officers have discussed this behavior and we are all pretty much in agreement on a few "facts".
	--Rides:  We post the rides as a "Full Drop" A ride, A "No Drop" B ride, and then a C ride depending on who shows up.
	--Dropped: "not on the wheel in front of you."

	You may be dropped and then ride really hard and catch back up OR you may be dropped and be done.  Using that as the definition of dropped and assuming that there IS a B Sweeper, the lead group (or even rider) has every "right" to go as hard and fast as they want and regroup as much or as little as they want; as does each rider behind them all the way to the B Sweeper.  (The B sweeper is obligated to not drop anyone.)  If the lead group wants a night where they are chasing KOM's that should be completely fine.

	So, for the "other" perspective:  There are riders who were attracted to the C4 club because we are a "cool group" that cares about all of the riders and are fun to ride with in a nice fast, competitive, but social atmosphere.  Some of these same folks were attracted to C4 because we had the reputation of riding REALLY hard, which tends to make you a stronger rider.  When you combine those two, you get a group of riders who knew that they were going to be dropped on just about every section of a group ride but they also knew that they were going to get to catch back up at standard regroup points. (And then repeat the process...)

	So, now I will drop in a few personal observations as I've witnessed the behavior in question AND heard comments from both sides.  I've been the person "dropped" a few times but, honestly, was more frustrated that I couldn't keep up more than mad or upset at the "lead group."  (Though when you are in the midst of the ride and see the group pull away from you 4 different times when you are SOOO close, you ARE mad at "them" and not yourself!)  In retrospect, I prefer to look at this as "I dropped because I couldn't keep up" as opposed to, "I got dropped."  One implies self-responsibility and the other places the blame away from one's self.  I know that I prefer to ride hard; REALLY hard.  I know I want to be pushed close to the limits each ride.  For me, that may be an 18 average.  For some, that's a 20 average; for others, it's a 15 average.  I know that trying to get a 20 person to keep a 15 person behind them is a pain in the A$$ and I hope no one expects that to happen.  This is why we DO break up into the different groupings.

	So, what's the answer?  I have no idea.  Maybe a little bending by all parties?  Maybe mixing it up.  Maybe making sure we do a little of each on a regular basis.  I'll offer a few thoughts and suggestions that may make sense depending on the day, the speeds, the number of riders, etc.

	--The difference between a 20 mph average and an 18 mph average over 40 miles is 13:20.  Are we really in THAT big of a hurry that 13 minutes or less makes that much of a difference?
	--If you are one of the faster (fastest) riders in the group and you see someone falling off the back, drop back to that person and make it your goal to pull them back into the group.  This will make BOTH of you ride harder.  (If the person being pulled back isn't even trying though; don't waste your time...)  John Glass, Shawn Flemming, and Hartman did this for me all the time when I was starting out...
	--If you are a faster rider and you are trying to keep slower riders with you, either push a harder gear making a good quad burner OR go the other way and start upping your cadence.
	--If you have waited on a chaser at every regroup point and they just-can't-quite-hang-on, go ahead and ride hard enough on the next section to "really" drop them.  (This sounds a little harsh, but the reality is that folks are frustrated by the "almost dropped", more than the fully dropped).
	--Don't regroup on friendship.  Whether or not a person is a friend should not be why they are not allowed to regroup.  (Same also is the case for "intentionally" dropping them.)
	--If you are trying to decide between hanging onto the lead group and pulling a lot of the time with a chase group; pulling the chase group may just be your better workout.
	--If a rider consistently finds themselves in "no man's land" between groups, they are probably not likely to continue with the group.  As a club leader, this is what I'm really trying to guard against.

	I want to close by saying, again, I do not know what the "correct" answer is and I'm not sure that this isn't just a situation that will only occur during these hottest parts of summer; I almost never see this in the winter or on the Sunday rides.  I also want to reiterate the need for communication DURING and before the rides.  If you are the last person NOT dropped of a group, try to be aware of how close the person behind you is and be sure to relay that to the leader.  If it's less than a minute, and the person has a good chance of hanging for the next segment, maybe wait a bit longer.  Be sure you know who the "No Drop Sweeper" is so that you'll know who you can back up to if you ARE falling off.  And lastly, and I suppose this is obvious, you can simply "vote" for what you feel is the right answer by continuing to do the actions that you feel is right for the day.  Some days that may be to "hammer on" and other days it may mean you back off a bit and help keep a group together.

	If you have comments / questions, please feel free to voice them but let's keep it civil.  I'll cross post this to Facebook so you can comment there as well.

	I hope to continue to be the "B Sweeper" on the Thursday ride and I hope to continue to try and "hang on" on the Tuesday rides.  All the rest; I'm just glad to be on the bike and with friends!

	Thanks club,
	Sean E