[C4 Rides] C4 End Of Summer Update

Earnhardt, Sean SeanEarnhardt at EuropaSports.com
Wed Aug 30 16:25:16 EDT 2017

Good Day C4 Riders!  You all know me by now.  This is a long one but it's pretty thorough!

I just wanted to send out an email communicating some upcoming items and the "fall schedule" for Tuesday / Thursday rides.  I've included the table at the bottom, with route links.  The distances are from RideWithGPS and I don't believe they are 100% accurate based on our Strava recordings.  (For instance, the Last Thursday Route which states it is 13.6 I believe is closer to 16.)  Anyway, this will be the 3rd year for this schedule and it has worked well the last 2 years.  PLEASE bring blinky's and lights as it'll be getting dark earlier and the last few miles of the ride will be in very dim light.  Based on previous years, the Tuesday ride will probably enjoy a larger crowd all the way till the end.  The Thursday ride may see folks start opting for the MTB option as the routes get shorter.

--So, as for Thursday night MTB rides.  It seems there are a group of folks that will, once again, be doing Thursday Night Mountain Bike rides at Rocky River.  (It's one of the few that doesn't close at sundown.)  I'll HIGHLY suggest 2 strong lights (One on your helmet and one on your bars) for this ride.  Whether it be MTB or Road Rides, I'll suggest the following light as we've had a few people use the lights with much success.  The batteries can be hit or miss on quality but you can pick up multiple kits for far less than the cost of the name brand lights and you'll be fine:  https://www.amazon.com/Comunite-Flashlight-Headlamp-5200mah-Battery/dp/B018YU370M/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1504114431&sr=8-10&keywords=cree+cycling+light

  If you want to join us, just let us know and we'll be sure to include you in the texting group as that tends to be a much tighter group and we let each other know if we are going to be a few mins late due to traffic and such. (Segue into the next topic)

--Texting!  We (the officers) have decided to see how "GroupMe" (https://groupme.com/en-US/) will work for our group.  IF you want to install the app onto your phone, you can, and it has some added benefits.  However, if you do NOT want to install the app, it'll work as part of your phone's built-in texting platform.  We've (Sean) set up a group for the "normal" mountain bikers and I've added everyone that I know of that is interested in the MTB side.  If you didn't get the text's on Tuesday, it probably means that I do not have your phone number or I didn't know you were interested.  If you didn't get the texts and want to be included, please send me your phone number and I'll add you.  One note on this is that we can get chatty, particularly just before a ride so, if you aren't riding on that ride and/or you don't want your phone going nuts for a while, learn how to "mute" a texting group; that way you can stay involved but it won't "bother" you for a while!

--Sunday FLOWE rides:  I don't see any reason not to try starting that back up THIS Sunday (9/3/2017).  Flowe Park, 2PM on Sunday.  Current weather is calling for a high in the low 80's, no rain, and low wind.  We'll go with the route from last year as everyone seemed to be happy with it.  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4040503  If you'd be interested in getting in a little EASY extra mileage before and after by riding in from The Right Gear, let me know and we'll see if we can't get a good standard group together for that.  We'd leave TRG at / by 1:25 and ride VERY leisurely to the Flowe Park for the 2PM start.  The ride back is also pretty leisurely as we just keep it together and go as fast as the slowest person wants to go.  This would be a great ride for Sigmon Sunday Swag riders to get double rides in since we don't go quite as hard as the hammer group particularly on colder days; it's mainly to keep the legs moving and to get outside during the winter.

--Facebook, Twitter, http://centralcarolinacycling.com, and email.

I'll continue to update the Twitter feed as often as possible as that updates the FB page AND the website.  The advantage to being on "The super-secret texting list" (which isn't secret at all, we'd love for you all to be on it!) is that you get up to the second knowledge and input as to what is happening regarding an impromptu or last minute ride option.  We always try to update the FB page (at a minimum) once the group has settled on a ride location and time.  Unfortunately, the usage of the email lists has almost degraded to things like this.  Email just isn't fast enough for today's JUST IN TIME communication needs.  That's not to say that we WON'T use it, just look for more "action" on the Facebook page and via the texting options.  (By the way, we are open to suggestions and comments on these methods as we want to include as many of you as possible.)

--Morrow Mountain 100 Miller (10/21/2017):  On Saturday the 21st of October (about 1 month after the last "official" AOMM ride, we are looking to do a "100 Miler" from The Right Gear.  We'll plan to start from TRG at 8:00 AM along with the SAMBO ride but the AOMM riders will split at the top of the Airport Rd. climb and follow the AOMM route down to the Mountain.  Jeff Viscount has asked that folks wanting to do this ride apart from his rides SHOULD NOT park at West Stanley middle school.  As such, if you want to join us that day but do ONLY the 60ish miles, please park somewhere else and meet us about 9:00am  (We should be there around 9:10 to 9:15 depending on speed and traffic) at Running Creek Church where Millingport Rd, Substation Rd, and Running Creek Church Rd. all come together.  (If it were me, I'd actually risk parking at Running Creek church but I'm not, officially, suggesting that!)  Bottles and your own supplies will be a premium on that day as there is nowhere to refill except at the mountain and the one gas station on the way back.  We have been known to stop in at churches (good people) and fill water bottles but it's a bit hard to count on that for sure.  There MAY be an "off the front" group but the main group will be a no-drop 17ish mile an hour group.  A few folks have never ridden the 100 Mile version OR done the ride all the way from the bottom of the mountain.  This will be a good day to do both.  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24764160

--Labor Day Rides!  (9/4/2017):  A few folks are planning on doing Pedal the Park out of Huntersville ($35.00 at 9am for the 60 mile route.)  http://www.pedalthepark.org/

If you are looking for free and closer to home, let me know of the interest and I'll see if I can't get a group together to do about 40 or 50 miles.

--Other (possible) rides for the rest of the year:

                AOMM (9/23/17):  Last "official" AOMM for the year.  Best $2 you'll ever spend.  Drink the Coke at the end and the ride is effectively half-priced!

Mt. Mitchell:  Propose a date and I'll see if I can get a group, so far, no major push from anyone but I do know of at least 6 interested.  (we don't want to wait TOO late in the season for this one!)

200 Miler:  I could put this together for maybe October 28th or early November but, again, no real big push that I've heard.  (Maybe we try this again for 2018?)

Beech Mt. Metric club ride:  Same comment as Mt. Mitchell...

New River Trail:  O.K. folks, a few of us did this recently and rode OVER 100 miles on the trail.  Matt (and Katie) were on a tandem, and Bruce and I were on road bikes (and I was on 25C tires!)  This DOES NOT require a Mountain Bike!  You'd be more comfortable on a MTB but, frankly, the comfort traded for the weight may not be worth it.  From Concord, this is a 2 hour and 15 minute drive.  Someone give me a date that you'd like to do it, (Maybe a Sunday?) and we'll see if we can't make it happen.  This would be great for getting the kids involved or an easy day on a mountain bike.  It's "easy" from a leg standpoint on a road bike but, not gonna lie, the arms and, um, nether-regions take a bit of a beating on certain parts.  If we just rode from Foster Falls to Fries, out to Galax, and back, it would be right at a Metric Century (66 miles) https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24764984 and we could get refreshments in all 3 endpoints.  If someone felt that they couldn't or didn't want to ride all 66 miles, you could easily cut out one of the spurs to Fries or Galax and shave off between 20 and 30 total miles.  Also, if we kept it to the route proposed, it would be no problem on the road bikes as that side of the trail was much more smooth than the Pulaski side.  (Also where else are you going to get 66 miles in without going over 2000 feet of climbing?  Did I mention that it's virtually flat???)  For the record, Aarons kids did this in 2016 and neither were over 12 years old I don't believe; YOU CAN DO IT!

Any other rides I'm leaving out?  Make a suggestion or let me know; you guys know I love doing this sorta thing!

New Years Day Ride 2018.  Monday.  I'll work something up, probably a Metric, and see if we can't keep the streak going.  This ride has seen over 40 people the last 3 years and seems to be really enjoyed by everyone.  The "fast" folks keep it tame for about 40 miles so that it's just at the challenging point for the slower riders to hang in there.  Then, with about 20 Miles to go the pace always seems to speed up a bit.  I'll keep that part in mind while designing the route.

--Other "Fall / Winter" items:

                Looks like Matt will try to do some Winter SufferFest trainer sessions again so look out for that in the next month or so.

                The NICA / C4 Juniors will be cranking back up with training sessions and training rides for the 2018 racing season.

(I'm hoping for Mon, Wed, or Fri on these so Matt can come out and play on the Tuesday K-Town Winter Rides and the Thursday MTB rides!)

Thursday Night MTB Rides will start on 11/9/2017 (if not before) and run till the time change in March of 2018

Tuesday NIGHT K-Town rides with start on 11/7/2017 and run till the time change in March of 2018

We'll be pushing for club dues renewals starting in January.  Most of you signed up this year and, hopefully, used the "auto-renewal" feature.  Some of you, I'm not naming names, were VERY slow about signing up this year and we keep the list.  I'll push a bit harder next year to make sure we get the membership drive over and done with earlier in the year.

Tuesday / Thursday schedule for remainder of the year:

Day

2017

Twilight

Miles

Route Description

Route Link

Tuesday

8/22

8:29

33.4

Full

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16239971

Thursday

8/24

8:26

37.8

Full (or Left at rimer, right at church)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/7596862

Tuesday

8/29

8:19

33.4

Full

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16239971

Thursday

8/31

8:17

33.7

Left at rimer, right at church

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10009825

Tuesday

9/5

8:09

31.6

No Moriah, Left at Junkyard, Karriker

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10007140

Thursday

9/7

8:06

31.3

Add Cress but stay on Rimer

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10009883

Tuesday

9/12

7:59

31.0

Add Moriah, Left at Junkyard, Beaver

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10007194

Thursday

9/14

7:56

29.5

Airport, No Cress, Rimer, add Penninger

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/7303356

Tuesday

9/19

7:49

29.4

No Moriah, Left at Junkyard, Beaver

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10007411

Thursday

9/21

7:46

27.9

Normal to Rimer, Sapp, Old C, Burrage

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24760730

Tuesday

9/26

7:38

25.8

Add Moriah, Stay on Enochville

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10007473

Thursday

9/28

7:36

25.1

Figure 8!

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10010002

Tuesday

10/3

7:28

25.2

No Moriah, Stay on Enochville

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10008053

Thursday

10/5

7:26

22.3

Irish Potato, straight back  //  MTB

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16984023

Tuesday

10/10

7:19

20.8

No Moriah, left at Fire Dept.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10008059

Thursday

10/12

7:16

19.4

Airport, Neisler, Long Penninger //  MTB

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10727248

Tuesday

10/17

7:10