[Terrytaylor] More bike stuff

Terry Taylor terryptaylor at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 13:02:38 EDT 2016

 Stayed in White Bird population 90 with two large bars I stalled around as long as I could and finally had to go climb a hill it took me three hours to go ten miles i did stop to rest a couple of times and also met John from Sweden he was going west we stopped and visited a while. I climbed3641feet yesterday from 1425 to 4110 feet altitude the map says 4500 feet I believe I am at 1300 feet this am
When I got to the top and started down I had been perspiring a some from the climb the temp was cooling and going downhill I was evaporating and chivering it was delightful
I continued through Grangeville through Stites and ontoKooskia population 607 I camped in an poorly maintained RV park it was ten dollars the ills man just stuck the ten in his pocket i set up my tent and went to take a shower when I turned on the water nothing came out I opened the curtain and there on the wall was a coin slot and crank knob well nobody said anything about coin operated shower to me and no signage to that effect. I don't bring money to a shower  the water worked in the sink so I washed up that way on the way down yesterday I was on a road that was poorly maintained with bad sections and patches on patches so the surface was of serious integrity very steep and many curves I started down cautiously and using brakes where I would
Usually let it go the turns were always a surprise as to what the pavement would be I have disc brakes which are great but they started to fad and it required more hand pressure to slow down I started alternating front and rear brakes I really got  concerned (read scared) as to whether I was going to make it to the bottom in a vertical position  I succeeded. This morning I met Brian at breakfast he is going west. He is from New York City and started there. I asked how he planned his route he said he used google maps for bikes but they are in the early stages and he had several bad experiences
Following there maps it is no fun when one must backtrack 15 miles and find another route
I will try to send some pictures
Looking at my maps for today there is a notation
"No services next 66 miles" that adds a little excitement to the ride guess I will go see what that's all about
TerryT

Sent from my iPhone