[C4 Rides] March 25, 2010 Officers Meeting Minutes

Dustin Wilson dustinlwilson at msn.com
Mon Apr 19 09:54:38 EDT 2010

All:

Here are the notes from our March 25 Meeting.

CENTRAL CAROLINA CYCLING CLUB
March 25, 2010
Officers Meeting
7:00 PM
Johnny Brusco’s, Concord, NC

Present: Shawn Fleming, President
David Pinard, Vice President
Matt Hartman, Webmaster
Dustin Wilson, Secretary
Sandy Hileman, Events Coordinator
Kevin Laws, Rides Coordinator

Insurance
Shawn has contacted the American League of Bicyclists and seems to think this is the organization best suited to handle our needs.  An early problem was that the club had no address.  Shawn has applied for a Post Office Box, which will net a usable address for the club.  Approximate costs for the insurance should be nominal, ~$1.50 per person.  The insurance would act as a supplemental to your existing insurance, protecting the club from the liability and will cover non-members that join the club sponsored rides.

Rides
Rides were discussed in detail.  At 15 miles, it was decided the C ride is too short.  This is mainly a result of feedback from riders and potential riders.  The C ride perhaps could be touted as a social ride, and routes will be developed for it ranging from 17 to 28 miles, based on rider ability.  A D ride, if necessary based on pre-ride assessment, will likely travel to Food Lion at the end of Union Street and back to the Right Gear.  The A and B rides will stay the same.
Matt will be the usual leader of the Sunday ride, while Dustin will be an alternate leader.  Matt will add information on what is needed to participate in club rides to the website.

Ride Leaders and Sweepers – we are in need of volunteers to lead and sweep rides, if you are willing to be a volunteer please send an e-mail
        Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Reviewing with attendees before departing some basic rules of the road
Hand signals: what they are likely to see and what it means
Verbal communication (encourage over communication)
No Drop Rides - assuring that everyone regroups and no one is left behind
Exchange of phone numbers between leaders and sweepers in case assistance is required
Recommended:
Do a quick check of equipment prior to departure
Water check – make sure everyone has, or there is funding to pick some up along the way.

Jerseys
Sandy mentioned the club may be able to get a discount on jerseys if we place a specific company’s name on the jersey.  There was agreement that we should look into Hincapie Sportswear as the jersey manufacturer.  Sandy volunteered to do this for the club.  Matt spoke of further defining the C4 logo; he encouraged everyone to look for jersey templates they like.  Jerseys would be sold to members only.  In memory of Adam Little and his contributions to the cycling community the committee voted to move forward with honoring Adam on our jerseys.

Charity Ride
There are two main reasons why we need to host a charity ride, 1: To help someone or an organization, 2: As one requirement to become a USAC sponsored team.  It is not anticipated that a charity ride could be organized in the very near future.

Membership Fees
Only annual memberships will be offered.  The question was raised of the benefits to potential members.  Besides the obvious reason of riding with a club, other benefits were mentioned.  There is the possibility of a club discount with the Carolina Time Trial (TT) Association.  Another potential benefit to members could be through coupons to area sporting goods stores, i.e. bike shops.  Also, we may get the chance to further develop the club, etc. via membership to the Carolina TT Board.
Matt mentioned venues to use for the payment of membership fees, such as Active.com and SPORToften.com.  It was agreed that while we definitely need a paypal account for membership fees and other needs, we can’t forget the tried and true method of accepting cash or checks.  Once we have an address, we can open a bank account, which is also necessary to use the paypal service.

-Dustin Wilson