[C4 Rides] Sept 25th SAMBO, TT, Pedaling For Savannah and MS Breakaway to the Beach

Matt Hartman matt at fourmattech.com
Tue Sep 21 22:18:45 EDT 2010

It has been a busy Month for the C4 gang and this week caps it off.

cctta_logoWednesday the 22nd is the last Time Trial at  Charlotte Motor
Speedway.  Gates open at 5 PM first riders launch at 6:30.  Anyone can
do this event.  Young, old, fat, skinny, slow or fast.  Come on out and
see what you can do. More info here: http://www.carolinatt.org

Saturday  25th there are two events happening.

MS150LogoWebWe have a large contingent going down to go the MS Breakaway
to the Beach, covering some 200 miles.  At the last tally our gang has
raised over $6000 toward the ride. These guys have been working very
hard to train for this event so let's give em as much support as we can.
(Ragan can you send me a list of the participants?)

TopEndProImage08
<http://www.centralcarolinacycling.com/images/stories/TopEndProImage08.gif>Also
this Saturday is the charity ride Pedaling For Savannah.  We have a
large number of C4 riders also attending this ride.  Details can be
found here: http://sites.google.com/site/pedalingforsavannah/home

And the brochure can be found HERE
<http://www.centralcarolinacycling.com/images/stories/pedaling-for-savannah.pdf>

Registration: 7:00 a.m. 60 Mile: 8:00 a.m. 30 Mile: 8:30 a.m.
Family Ride: 9:00 a.m.

 From the Pedaling for Savannah web site:

My name is Catlin Halyburton. I will be a senior this year at South
Rowan High School. In order to graduate, seniors are required to do a
graduation project. I have chosen to do my project in support of
Savannah Hinson, a rising senior at Jesse C. Carson High School.

Savannah was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma at seven months old. She had
surgery to remove the tumor. In order to reach the tumor, the doctors
had to remove one of her ribs. Though Savannah has remained cancer free,
she has had physical problems that stemmed from her cancer.

As Savannah grew, her spine developed with curves in it. This is known
as Scoliosis. In her adolescent years, her spine also began to have a
forward bend in it. This is known as Kyphosis. She began having chronic
back pain and some changes in her ability to walk. She saw an
orthopedist and after six months of observation, the decision was made
that surgery was the only option.

On September 24, 2007 Savannah entered Carolinas Medical Center for a
surgery to help straighten her back and give her some pain relief. She
knew there was a 50% chance that if things did not go as planned she may
be paralyzed. In four short hours the life Savannah had known for 14
years had vanished forever.

Savannah is now paralyzed from T3 down. Prior to her paralysis, Savannah
was already a well accomplished athlete. She had played softball,
competed at the State level in competition gymnastics, was a member of
3-D Filps competition cheerleading squad, cheered for school, ran track,
and had just began volleyball two months before her surgery. Since
surgery, Savannah has had to adapt and accept her new life. After two
years post surgery, Savannah has decided it is time to get back into
sports. Her interest has turned to cycling. A hand cycle suited for her
will cost between $3,000.00 to $4,000.00 This is a cost her parents
cannot handle on their own. It is my hopes that through this charity
ride, I can raise enough funds to absorb the majority of the cost for a
hand cycle. Then, Savannah can become the athlete that she once was and
renew the since of freedom that we all take for granted. Please join me
on September 25, 2010 for an inspiring ride.

Because a large number of the C4 members are heading out to do several
important charity rides this weekend, the SAMBO AB&C rides will be show
and go only and will not have ride leaders.  You are welcome to ride if
you know the route.  If not, come on out the the Pedaling for Savannah
ride and help out a great cause!

Normal SAMBO ride support will resume next week October 2nd.  Thanks for
your patience as we support all these great charities!