[C4 Rides] C4 Mt Mitchell plans - Saturday May 24.

Matt Hartman matt at fourmattech.com
Sun May 18 21:44:34 EDT 2014

Hi Folks,

Here are the plans for Mt Mitchell Saturday May 24.  Just remember, if
you don't think you an do it, you probably can.  So far we have about 10
people riding.  Houston's parents have volunteered to SAG for us this year.

This year we will be having 2 groups, a slower group and the
normal/faster group.  Terry Taylor and I will be going up early and plan
to depart about 1 1/2 hours before everyone else, so that we can all
summit closer to the same time.

*1) * We will all meet at Touchdown Pizza In Kannapolis.

5:30 AM: Terry & Matt depart Kannapolis.  Wheels on the ground approx
7:30.  If other want to ride really slow, you can come up early with us.

6:30-6:45 AM:  Everyone in the normal/fast group will meet at TDP, and
arrange car pooling and get organized for a 7:00AM departure. If you
show up at 7:00.01 you'll be seeing tail lights.

I'm trying to get a tally of who's going, *so drop me a note and let me
know if you are going, and how you plan to get there, drive yourself, or
carpool from TDP*

*2) *Travel arrangements.  We will try to carpool as much as possible.
*If you cannot stay or don't want to stay until everyone has finished*,
or stay to grab a bite to eat afterwards, please arrange your travel
accordingly.

*3)* We will have a jug with icewater, and a container of Gatorade
powder for bottle refills.   Everyone please bring a little something to
share with everyone, bananas, cookies, newtons, etc.

*4)* We will shoot to arrive at 9:00 and be on the road as soon as
everyone is ready.  Parking is always an unknown.  We start at the
corner of HWY 70 and HWY 80, and there are 2 options.  The closed hotel
across the intersection, and a warehouse on the left just after you turn
on HWY 80.  Don't try to park at the shops on the corners.  The owners
have been known to get testy.  The hotel is usually empty.

*5)* SAG will be provided in case you run into problems, and we will
have main regroup points at the parkway, and at the top of the
mountain.  Cell phone signal is spotty at best, and non-existent at
worst, but bring one along just in case, but don't rely on it.

*6)* Be sure to have a rear blinky light.  We will be going through 2
tunnels, and the Park service requires lights for cyclists.

*7)* Please plan for cold temperatures.   At minimum, make sure you have
arm warmers and a base layer.  My recommendation is to bring a wind
proof jacket, you'll be sweaty at the top and will be really chilled on
the way down the mountain.  Just make sure you have something you can
peel off on the way down because the finish temps are going to be in the
mid 70's.

*8)* Afterwards, we usually grab a sit-down bite to eat at the Fatz cafe
on HWY 70 on the way out of town.

*9) *Arrival back home can be between 5 and 7 depending on how fast or
slow everyone is.

*Other notes:*  Gearing recommendations for humans would be a compact
crank 50/34 with a 28 tooth rear.  Make sure your brakes are in good
working order.  Bring electrolyte tablets in case of cramps.  Also,
sunscreen and handy wipes for cleanup afterwards. There is a snack bar
and restrooms at the top, but nothing in between.   Route map can be
found here: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3338298

*Summary of the ride: *
Starting from Marion, NC, at the intersection if HWY 70 and route 80,
the ride winds up Route 80 past Lake Tahoma, where the grade kicks up in
a hurry. Route 80 switchbacks almost constantly, and the last 4 miles up
to the Blue Ridge Parkway average an unrelenting 8 to 10 percent. Atop
the Parkway, the ride sandwiches two climbing stretches with a 2-mile
descent as it passes numerous scenic overlooks, tunnels, as well as
droves of spring wildflowers and butterflies.

The final approach to the Mount Mitchell summit (the highest point east
of the Mississippi) is a stiff, steady, and brutally straightforward
climb. Savor the accomplishment and the 360-degree views at the top. The
ride back down is steep and fast, but having previewed the descent on
the way up, there shouldn't be too many surprises.

See you all Saturday!

Matt Hartman
704-793-6739
matt at fourmattech.com