[Terrytaylor] Lake Dillon to Blue Lake

Terry Taylor terryptaylor at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 20:57:31 EDT 2016

I waited a while for the tent to dry. My breathing formed condensation on the inside of the rain fly which would then drop on me   The inside of the rain fly was wetter than the outside.
Which reminds me that back in Walden where one goes to the sheriff's office to find out what area the sprinklers would come on pone cyclist didn't and put up his tent with finding out
The sprinkler head came up between the rain fly and the tent. He and the inside were quite drenched what an awakening I rode the bike path along the lake heading to Frisco. There were many runners it was Rebok Ragnar Relay it seems to be a really big event with runners doing relays   I don't know how many miles it involved but I saw runners for miles   I just rode along passing runners not paying much attention when suddenly there was tape running along both sides of the path. I was trapped in the finish lane and crossed the finish llne with lots  of runners. People lined the finish cheering and ringing cowbells it was a great moment in my cycling carrier I waved to all the cheering fans,like a guy on a loaded bicycle belongs in a running event. It was fun anyway.
I wanted breakfast and continued into Frisco the town is very tourist oriented and it looks like maybe a German town might look in the Alps. I asked a woman where there is a Mc
 Donald's she got quite huffy and informed me that We don' t allow those kind in this town! Well where is on she said I would have to go back to Silverthorn which I did and found a Conoco s
Station with a Wend'ys where I ate and charged all my devices that need USB charging. I went back to Frisco and got on the bike path to Breckenridge
In Breckenridge the ten was very crowded I found a sports store that also has bikes I had my shifting adjusted again it does not want toshift properly. I called the two hostels in  town  both were full so I looked on my phone AP
Warm Showers and there was one five miles up the road going the way I need to go. I called James Ralston and he said come on and gave me directions. I got something to eat and headed for Blue River. He and is wife have a fantastic home three stories all log. I put my bike in the garage and he took me in the ground floor there is a mud room just inside with a washing area about five feet on a side sort of a tub with a it foot high walls  we went through another door and entered the ground floor which had a full kitchen including a dishwasher and cupboards then there was a home theatre with two rows of deep leather seats and a full bathroom on that floor also.  We went upstairs to a beautiful second floor large kitchen and dinning area and I didn't see what else on that floor as he took me down the hall to my bed room and showed me my bathroom with glass door shower and two sinks. We sat at the dinning table and had hot chocolate and yogurt and visited a long time. Their bedrooms are on the third floor. This is their summer place and part of the winter then they retreat to their home in Menphis. He is an avid cyclist and he of his two buddies go touring every year in Europe. He also has toured a couple of times in New Zealand. There he met a female bike competitor. She comes over here this time of the year winter in NZ. She trains here and was gone to a race somewhere so i didn't meet her.
My bedroom has a sink and mirror I took a picture of it.
I left in the AM and commenced to approach the highest climb on the route. I met up with Lidea and Cody I hadn't seen them since Lander WY
Funny how one can meet up and ride repeatedly with the same riders we started up the pass with them ahead. I found my lowest gear too low I couldn't go above 3.5 mph and at that speed I am all over the road. The next gear I can hold 4 mph and have better control. Cody an Liddea said they would meet me at top. Well they got there and several riders got there from the other side. They told them I was coming and as I arrived they were all cheering and calling out my name and clapping   Of course I felt good about that. Then pictures in front of the sign.
We proceeded down the other side and stopped at a cafe in Alma. Across the street was a place called The Sheep Herder.
40 years ago Lani and I stopped at a shop in Breckenridge and asked the lady to make sheep skin covers for our saddles
She did and we suggested that she make some samples and take them over to the bike inn where cyclists could see them. She was a new shop and summer is not the sheepskin coat/jacket so that helped her through the summer. She moved to   Alma sixteen years ago and still in business   We rode on to FairPlay. We said our good bys as we split up there they going to Denver and I heading south toward Pueblo. I went on Hartsel just a Bar/Cafe they allow camping across the street and I about to go set up behind an abandoned building no amenities
TerryT

Sent from my iPhone