[Terrytaylor] Scott City to Ness City

Terry Taylor terryptaylor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 00:04:55 EDT 2016

Scott City is a nice little town pop 3816. People were very nice and always wished me a good journey they are used to bicyclists passing through usually ask if I am going East or West. I rode out of town East of course. Rode to Dighton pop1038 I got one of those deli pre axe sandwiches they have in gas station /convience stores and a Gatorade I then pushed on against the wind. It really wasn't too bad at times. I arrived at Ness City pop 1449 and was impressed that the street Highway 96 through town was brick! and it looked great. The cross highway US 283 was also brick. I got a motel room 45 dollars. It is a two story motel just off from its greatest days but still very nice inside has a second story veranda around a large indoor swimming pool. I have not seen another person here I seem to be the only one around quite often I think these small towns are hurting.
The crops I see along the trip are changing it was grain and hay. Now I am seeing corn crops however the seem to need irrigation. Sorghum and more working oil wells with usually several storage tanks near by. These are sharing the land with the crops.
I had a ping on my front wheel and thought I may have broken a spoke. I watched the front wheel but did not see any wobble. That is when I discovered the cause. Grass hoppers were sitting at the edge of the road and often when I rode by they would decide to commit suicide by trying to hop through my front wheel. I noticed many pings along the way. They also fly into me and my handlebar bag. They will hit me and hang on. Well I don't have any pictures today. Should have taken a picture of the brick road.
TerryT

Sent from my iPhone