[Terrytaylor] Larned to Nickerson

Terry Taylor terryptaylor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 22:20:16 EDT 2016

I started out about 9 am
It takes too long to get everything back on my bike. The map says no services for the next 58 miles and they were not lying. It was warm 95 degrees and need I say just a whole bunch of wind. After some hours on the bike and getting low on water there is a sign saying Artesian Water. Oh boy I am going to drink my fill of cool water then fill my water bottles. I pulled up to a concrete wall leaned my bike on it and looked over the side sure enough there is a pipe coming out of a concrete wall horizontal with water coming out of it. Only trouble with the whole scene was the sign next to it saying Not Potable Water! Well why advertise the thing in the first place!
After many hours in the saddle I arrived in Nickerson pop 1347. I was very thirsty and weary. I pulled into a convience store and a woman pulled up along side and told me that Tuesday's they have Senior Night at the community center at 6pm and I am invited for dinner. Timing is everything. I went in the store for a Gatorade and rest in the cool. I arrived at the center in time to get in line for a great meal and several kinds of desserts. The lady that invited me is the mayors wife. As a matter of fact all are gone except me. I have been invited to stay in here for the night. I am in a sort of rec room exercise equipment etc the floor is carpeted but the nice thing is the real long sofa that I will be sleeping on. A flatscreen tv on the wall and she made sure I knew how to use it.
I met one guy going west today we stopped on our own sides of the road and shouted back and forth for a while.
I should be able to get started sooner tomorrow as I won't have so much to pack.
TerryT
PS this state is easy to dislike because of the wind but the people go a long way to be the friendliest people I have met.  TT

Sent from my iPhone