[Terrytaylor] To Dillon

Terry Taylor terryptaylor at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 22:10:01 EDT 2016

I left Jackson late AM
There was very strong winds and it was a tail wind! That rarely happens I have found if I have a tailwind I am lost. Big Hole Pass was 7370 feet. It was tough but helped by the tailwind. I got over the top and it felt good to let it go on the downside I was doing 46mph around a right hand curve when I was hit by a strong wind from the right. It hit me and took away my lean and pushed my front wheel to the left I went across the road heading for the shoulder I tried to lean and bring the bike back to my side of the road the wind made the bike feel light and slow to respond I got it back to my side of the road and slowed down disc brakes are great. What a rush!
Made it to Dillon and stayed at the KOA the guy likes bikes and has one campsite he rents to cyclists for28 dollars no matter many cyclists so the more the less cost per person
It has lots of room and picnic tables and importantly shade
I was going to meet Tom and Pam the tandem people not there latter Tom came ridding the tandem alone he came over to say Pam had insisted on a motel room
Two people I had seen and waved to a couple of times  in the past were there so I got to meet them Mike and Lucilla they are from the Orlando area and when they finish the ride they are going to ride to Florida and home
They are ridding trike recumbents very low slung  and small looking on the road of cours being a trike they are wider than a regular bike they are very slow(read heavy) on the hills but the great advantage is being a trike they can actually stop on the hill and not fall over.
Also met John from Austin Tx.
I left Dillon wanting to go to Virginia City but bikers I talked to said no camping left in the town. It is a restored Western Town and at the peak of tourist season. I heard Yellowstone is packed also partly due to the lower fuel prices more RVs on the road. Well I must set up my tent so by for now.
TerryT

Sent from my iPhone