[Terrytaylor] Bike riding

Terry Taylor terryptaylor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 11:54:41 EDT 2016

I left Tom and Pam as she refused to come out of the tent and said she wasn't going anywhere today Tom shrugged and said perhaps we will meet down the road. I road to Cameron and found a gas station bar/cafe but wouldn't open till 4pm. I continued on meeting several bike riders going west always nice to see other riders quite hot beautiful along the Madison River it flows fast with many rocks In it Many fly fishing lodges and fisher persons lot of them are women both wadding and in funny little boats usually three people two fly fishing and one in the middle working the oars the water is swift and shallow. I came roan RV Campground walked my bike across an old cantilever rusty bridge with board deck one lane also. The place was full of RV and a row of cabins full also they allow tent camping in a large grass area has picknic tables but no trees for a little shade no food but if l signed up now I could recieve a cinnamon roll in the am for two dollars which I did. The whole place was fly fishermen the cabins had a hitching post where the wading boots were hung to dry then there was a place to park those funny little boats also those raft like boats with seats   Next morning the owners wife was  changing bedding in the cabins she came out of there laundry room carrying baskets and loading them into the large basket on a trike He said he bought the trike so she wouldn't have to carry the baskets so far
I left for West Yellowstone
Climbing started immediately not steep but steady for nine miles 2 and 3+ percent
I stopped at the visitor center where the earth quake in 1959 caused the side of a mountain to fall into the Madison River at night causing what is now Earthquake Lake. People had no warning and many died in their tents or cabins 28 people died. I continued to West Yellowstone and the tourist season in full bloom chaos reigns. I was unable to find camping so went back to a USFS campground I had seen some three miles back. It was full but the host lady said the guy in21 said he would share his campsite with a cyclist so I had a place to sleep. He was fly fishing(of course) and came in after I had my tent set up we sat at the table and had a nice visit I learned about the time to fish the favorable water temp and so on very nice guy from Seattle. One fisherman said the Madison is the Premier Fly fishing River in the world I don't about but it is very popular. Well got the tent up and ready to ride.
TerryT

Sent from my iPhone