[Terrytaylor] Grundy to Rosedale VA

Terry Taylor terryptaylor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:22:09 EDT 2016

Grundy is an interesting town. It has a Walmart on the third story. The first two floors are parking deck. I think the whole town is subject to flooding so they put the store up above the threat.
I made it the 19 miles to get back on route just as I pulled up to the route a rider heading west was coming up the hill. I don't want to forget to say it was raining. He stopped and we visited a bit. He was going to do the trail till he could get on the Route 66 bike trail they now have bike maps for. That way this late in the season he would avoid the higher elevations. He told me about his last rest stop in Rosedale. I decided I needed to get there for the night.
Stats
8:33 hours
55.6 miles.  6.50 mph average
4235.6 feet of up!
The rain continued hard at times. I was soaked completely and on the downhills got somewhat cold. I learned not to let it go downhill goingover thirty the rain hit my face stung like bb's. So I had to slow down. Visibility was difficult as my glasses would fog up on the inside and the rain drops on the outside created nearly impossible vision. I could make out the fog line and used that as my guide. There was very little traffic which was good as when a vehicle would pass I would get showered from it.
Had one very long climb about two miles at 7.5 to 10% grade. I know I mention the climbs a lot but really they take up much of my day at 3 mph.
I arrived at the Elk Garden UMC after some bad local info how to find it. Finally found a young man and his girlfriend in a large PU who knew where it was and drove to it waiting at times for me to catch up. I was very happy to finally get out of the rain and get the soaked bike shoes off. As a matter of fact they are still wet and I am about to put them on and get on the road. It is done raining for now so looking toward a nice ride today.
TerryT

Sent from my iPhone