[Terrytaylor] Ashland to Glendale VA

Terry Taylor terryptaylor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 18:35:48 EDT 2016

I left Ashland knowing that there was an80% chance of rain.
Stats
38 miles 6.06 mph average
885.8 feet of up now that's more to my liking!
It was really a mess in the streets. The rural roads were under water in several places with the High Water signs warning drivers and bicyclists alike. I would wait till no traffic as they hit the water and send a wave I don't want to wear it.
I could go down the middle of the road the water might be only three inches deep there. I was told they received 6 inches of rain. The ditches were flooded an often where I would ride outside the fog line it would be under water. There were lines of pine straw near the middle of the road sometimes on both sides indicating where the water had reached. On grades mud and gravel had washed out onto the pavement and I had to plow through it They really got a lot of rain.
I Started out in a slight drizzle and eventually had to put on my rain jacket as it got more like rain than drizzle.
I was in heavy rain when the second longest freight train caused me to stand and wait at least I was supposed to cross the tracks this time. I wanted to get to the Willis Methodist Church and I finally arrived and called the number and a man arrived and showed me around. Nice shower nice kitchen and cyclists can eat anything they find in the kitchen. I will be fine tonight.
TerryT

Sent from my iPhone