[C4 Rides] Tour de Leaves

Chris Ashworth cncguru at aol.com
Fri Oct 23 09:04:54 EDT 2015

I did Tour de Leaves last Sunday and this was a great ride.  I would recommend this ride to all club members next year.  Especially if new to riding in the mountains.  There is one long slow climb up into Seluda, but the rest is a lot of rolling terrain.  The last 5mi is worth all the suffering of the day.  Its a beautiful smooth fast descent for 4mi that gradually flattens out just as you get back to the parking lot.  Easily carry 40mph+ and feel comfortable.

The late season ride scares some off due to temperature, but if dressed for it who cares.  It was a little chilly when we started similar to last Saturday morning TRG ride, but the effort to climb warmed you up quickly.

Very well marked and great ride if new to climbing & descending in the mountains.

One interesting or apparent thing to note and wish I would have stopped to take a picture was the NC SC State line.  It was as if a line was drawn across the road right at the sign.  On NC side beautiful smooth roads that you felt safe riding fast and SC side of sign pot holes, uneven patches, ruts, etc. as far as the eye could see.  You didn't dare take your eyes off the road or hands off the handlebars on descents & the climbs were like a slalom course.  Fortunately this was only for several miles and then back to beautiful roads.

There is a reason the taxes are less in SC they don't maintain the roads. HaHa!

Christopher Ashworth
(704) 608 1280