[Terrytaylor] Riverside Wy to Walden Co

Terry Taylor terryptaylor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 20:09:45 EDT 2016

I packed up early and met Inga at the convience store for some hearty junk food and washed it down with a coke. When we left we of course agreed that we each travel at our own pace. She left and I couldn't get my Garmin to give me the info I wanted it wanted to give me things lik calories time of day and other info I don't want.  By the time I convience it to give me at least some info I wanted Inga had been gone a half an hour I never saw her until I got to the public park in Walden Co
We are camped there free tonight. The ride here was difficult as considerable climbing and all day over 8000 feet. The air is very dry and I must breath with mouth open that soon dries out the throat requiring lots of water. More wild fires on in the hills lot of smoke and fire fighting equipment in the area. Tomorrow Inga splits of this TA trail and heads for Denver.
I met a TA rider west bound I was quite impressed as he was riding his tri bike a Motobecon (sp?) carbon fiber bike Dura Ace crank 26 cassette he had put drop bars on and that's all he changed to put a race horse to plow. It had Zip Wheels radial front 25 mm tires. Now he was self supported and had a bag tied to the bars one under the top tube a small one on the top tube and something hanging off the seat post to tie bag on for his sleeping bag and pancho. He is averaging almost 90 miles a day. He said he had a lot of notions on how to do this and soon realized they were not based on fact and there were times when lower gears would have been nice. I directed him to the campground in Saratoga and told him it was18 + miles. He said no problem it was already after 7 o'clock. He said it was so hot in Kansas that he slept out the first night it never got below 95 and if he crawled out of the bag because it was too hot all the insects attacked him. He was trying to travel frugally but after that night  he could hardly ride the next day he stayed in motels across Kansas
TerryT

Sent from my iPhone