[Terrytaylor] Berea to Booneville Ky

Terry Taylor terryptaylor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 08:36:22 EDT 2016

Stats
68 miles 4120feet of up
My legs are a little sore had some steep climbs and some that went on for seems miles. I was able to out run the dogs by being very quiet and sneeking by when they saw me I would hammer as they would be late getting to the road and I could outrun them.
Often tho if there were dogs ahead the barking would alert them. The worst is when  climbing and the dogs attack I can't get away. There are never less than two dogs. I asked a policeman if there are leash laws he said its up to each governing city county or whatever to decide but if they have one they don't have the money to enforce it so I am on my own.
When I left Berea I climbed some hills and after five miles the road went three ways and I took the wrong one. After six miles I came to a road that didn't show up on my map. There was a home being built across the street so I asked a worker where I was in relation to where I needed to be. He said I had to go back up that long winding steep road to take Burn't Ridge road over to 421.
I made the climb back to the proper road and found my climbing was just beginning as that road reminded me of Missouri. And the darn bike wouldn't go into my lowest gear
After getting on 421 l stopped at the nearest convience store for some chocolate milk good protein source. I decided I needed to work on the rear derailleur so I took everything off the bike and turned over and worked on it. I got it to go into low gear and stop skipping in the higher gears. Still not 100% but I can work with it. Took a long time to get to Booneville. Of course o people ask if I am going east and delight in telling me how bad the hills are.
I stayed at the  Presbitarian(sp) church they have a small covered deck with a shower and sink but no toilet. It's  been very foggy this am but starting to lift now so I can get going.
 I forgot to say that the worker on the house construction asked me if I had a gun. I said gosh no those things are heavy. He asked if I had a knife I said no. He said "I don't know where you are from but you are in Kentucky and a lot of bad people live in Kentucky "
He said he was a cop and patrolled nights and there is a lot of bad out there. I thanked him and left to climb back to the right road.
Terry T

Sent from my iPhone