[Terrytaylor] Finish the Parkway to Charlottesville VA

Terry Taylor terryptaylor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:01:58 EDT 2016

After the parkway there was some great downhill runs on very narrow roads and very sharp turns. What fun. After about 22 miles I stopped at a convience store for chocolate milk and when I left I went the wrong way. After a bit I couldn't figure out why my Garmin would not show me on course.
I shut it off and started over. It still didn't show so I stopped and asked a gutter installer where I was  I found out I went the wrong way. I had to return to the store and go the right way ta Charlottesville.
Stats(total of two rides on the Garmin.
49.8 miles 6.99 average mph
26542 of up
I went through Charlottesville at 6pm and through the University of Virginia Campass lots of traffic and students on bikes and walking across the street. I made it through and on through Charlottesville. After getting past the city I stopped and called a hostel their recording said after five years they closed. I checked the Warm Showers App on my phone and some said they wanted a months notice none had phone numbers
I had pulled into a small parking lot and a guy was trying to change a flat tire I went over to help. He couldn't get the wheel off the car. He was yanking on so hard he almos pulled the car off the jack. I knew that it had rusted onto the drum but he was getting mad and I had to be very diplomatic about how I approached the subject. I suggested that it might be rusted and he might try kicking the wheel. He continued to yank and his wife just shrugged.
I wanted to kick it but he was in the way after many try's and cutting his hand he stood up and kicked the wheel which promptly fell off. He actually thanked me for the help.
I went back to my bike and phone an checked for motels. It had started to sprinkle not bad I found a motel about four miles away. It's completely dark now and I started for the motel with my lights all hooked up. Of course there were steep hills and on the way up one it really got serious about raining. I couldn't stop and put on my rain gear or the rain covers for the panniers.
I got thoroughly soaked and couldn't see too well I turned left to soon and ended pushing my bike up the hill to the right street. I finally got to the motel and they wanted too much money. The young gal behind the counter finally said she would give me the hospital rate what ever that is so I got a room out of the rain. Now I have dried my stuff as much as possible and am ready to get down the road. Weather is calling for rain next couple of days. I need to get away from here.
TerryT

Sent from my iPhone